Matt McDermott is a Staff Writer for the online electronic music magazine Resident Advisor. His Dublab radio show, En Plein Air, airs on the second Friday of each month from 4-6 PM. He also helps throw the States of Being parties and DJs around town when friends ask him to.
1. Chee Shimizu “Obscure Sound” book – I was at a friend’s house and saw this ridiculous Japanese record guide lying around and ordered it off Amazon Japan immediately. A bible of spiritual, floating, bizarre music. My roommate, a folk hero in his own right, compiled the hundreds of amazing entries into a YouTube playlist. Years of enjoyment even if the damn thing is in Japanese.
2. Highland Park – I’m the latest idiot to discover this neighborhood, but what I like about is that I can stumble into Super A at 11:00 AM and not feel like I’ve intruded on a private Yoga/Prius cult. (eg. Traderjoevia.) Honorable mention Huraches Azteca, Jugos, Estrella, Mount Analog, Truechord Sound Systems.
3. Suzanne Kraft – Talk From Home pumpkin82 12 hrs 6 mins ago Reply There’s an “ambient/balearic/azy (sic)/gentle/elegant” overdose on this year’s album poll. Maybe it should have been called “Albums that we’ve played a lot as background music in RA office because they sound nice and don’t bother us while working”
4. Lena Willikens – Best DJ in the world, hipped me to #1, took me to A-Music in Cologne, told me about other great artists like Inga Mauer and Borusiade. Hopefully 2016 brings the boss back to LA.
5. Hot Mass – Played this Pittsburgh afterhours, located in a gay bathhouse, with my friend Damon Palermo back in January. Best club in the country. That’s all I have to say about that.